We have national holidays to honor our military, former presidents, and even Christopher Columbus. But what about our flag? What about Old Glory? When do we honor the Stars and the Stripes? Well, today! June 14th is also known as Flag Day.
A Timeline of the History of Flag Day
- Believed to have originated in 1885, Flag Day was the invention of a schoolteacher name BJ Cigrand. He arranged for his students to observe June 14th as “Flag Birthday” or Flag Day.
- In 1889, George Balch, also a teacher, planned ceremonies for his students to observe Flag Day, an idea later adopted by the State Board of Education of New York.
- In 1891, the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia held a Flag Day celebration on June 14th.
- In 1892, the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution celebrated Flag Day on June 14th, as well.
- On April 25, 1893, the Pennsylvania Society of Colonial Dames of America adopted a resolution requesting the mayor of Philadelphia and all others in authority and all private citizens to display the Flag on June 14th. Two weeks later on May 8th, the Board of Managers of the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution unanimously endorsed the action of the Pennsylvania Society of Colonial Dames. As a result of the resolution, Dr. Edward Brooks, then Superintendent of Public Schools of Philadelphia, directed that Flag Day exercises be held on June 14, 1893 in Independence Square.
- In 1894, then governor of New York directed that the Flag be displayed on all public buildings on June 14th.
- In 1894 the first general public school children’s celebration of Flag Day in Chicago was held in Douglas, Garfield, Humboldt, Lincoln, and Washington Parks.
- The Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916 officially established Flag Day.
- On August 3rd, 1949, President Harry S. Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.
Packaging Strategies Incorporated (PSI) and Custom Government Cases and Shipping Containers
As a 9001 ISO Certified and Registered company, PSI. is the perfect partner for government agencies and bureaus who need quality products delivered quickly and under budget. We’re familiar with the requirements of government contracting, and because our facilities are located in a hub and empowerment zone, we qualify for other government opportunities.
Since 1990, PSI has evolved from a small organization focused on supporting the defense community to a multi-faceted company serving both defense and private enterprises. Our expertise, qualified personnel and on-site production facilities allow us to meet and exceed every client’s needs.
If you’re interested in learning more about our Custom Government Cases and Shipping Containers, please contact Packaging Strategies Inc. by calling 888-774-7557, email [email protected], or click here today!
Located in Baltimore, Maryland, we have manufactured systems integration packages and container solutions (rotationally molded containers, injection molded transit cases, and metal containers) for clientele of all types, from government agencies, large corporations and branches of the military to the private sector.
Since 1990, PSI has evolved from a small organization focused on supporting the defense community to a multi-facated company serving both defense and private enterprises. An ISO 9001 certified and registered company, our in-house design and prototyping services combined with our capability to test and evaluate all package designs guarantees the finished product will work properly.