Custom transit cases protect sensitive equipment, electronics, instruments, or other valuable items during transportation. To ensure the safety and security of your items, it’s crucial to seal your transit case effectively. Sealing options vary depending on the level of protection required and the specific needs of your equipment. When sealing custom transit cases, your case designers at Packaging Strategies, Inc. will consider the effectiveness of the following methods for keeping equipment protected and secure.
Gasket seals create an airtight and watertight barrier in transit cases. Typically made from materials like silicone or neoprene, gasket seals are placed around the case’s edges or in specific grooves. When the case is closed, the gasket compresses, creating a tight seal that prevents dust, water, and contaminants from entering.
What to Know About Gasket Seals:
- Provide excellent protection against moisture and dust
- It is a reusable and durable solution
- Often complies with industry standards like IP67 for waterproofing
- May need additional protection for fragile items
- Requires proper maintenance
Pressure Relief Valves
Pressure relief valves are essential for sealing custom transit cases that might be exposed to changes in altitude or temperature during transportation. These valves automatically equalize the pressure inside and outside the case, preventing vacuum or overpressure conditions that could damage the case or its contents.
What to Know About Pressure Relief Valves:
- Protects against pressure-related damage.
- Ensures easy opening and closing of the case.
- They are ideal for air travel and extreme environmental conditions.
- They should be used in combination with other seals.
- Requires periodic inspection and maintenance
Latch and Lock Mechanisms
A secure latch and lock mechanism ensures your custom transit case remains tightly closed during transport. These mechanisms can come in various designs, including simple latches, combination locks, or padlocks. They add an extra layer of security to your case.
What to Know About Latch and Lock Mechanisms:
- Prevents unauthorized access to case contents.
- Easy to use and reliable.
- Complements other sealing methods.
- They don’t provide environmental protection on its own
- They may require additional seals for airtight and watertight protection
Welded or Molded Cases
For the highest level of protection, consider cases that are welded or molded from a single piece of material, such as plastic or aluminum. These cases are inherently strong and resistant to moisture, dust, and impact. They provide a seamless and secure enclosure for your equipment.
What to Know About Welded and Molded Cases:
- Maximum protection against external elements
- Durable and long-lasting
- Customizable to your specific needs
- Limited flexibility for changes or modifications
Choosing the suitable sealing method for your custom transit case depends on your equipment’s specific requirements and the conditions it will encounter during transport. A combination of sealing methods may often be the best approach to ensure your items remain safe, secure, and protected throughout their journey. Packaging Strategies, Inc. can help you find the best solution for sealing custom transit cases and designing for maximum long-lasting protection.
DEPEND ON PACKAGING STRATEGIES FOR YOUR CUSTOM PACKAGING NEEDS
Packaging Strategies has assembled a team with over 100 years of experience in design, engineering, development, manufacturing, and sales. We created the Packaging Strategies Design and Technology Center to create and manufacture complete systems integration packages and container solutions of all sizes and materials for our clientele. Many of these clients are federal agencies or in the private sector. No matter what you need to carry, Packaging Strategies is sure to have the right case for the job. You can view our website here, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and LinkedIn.